Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Diabetes- 21 Years Later

I have had type 1 diabetes for 21 years today. What I would like people to know is that I don't have "the bad kind" nor do I have "the good kind".   I didn't get it from being too fat or eating too much cake.   I cannot take a pill.  Pricking my finger to test my blood sugar is not as painful as those stupid commercials on TV make it out to be.  Diabetes isn't contagious so please don't ask me if I am afraid of "giving diabetes" to my daughter.  It is a completely ignorant and hurtful question.   Unless you plan on asking my parents Tom and Moe how they felt about "giving me" diabetes,  keep it to yourself.   Diabetes is now a part of who I am.  And I am ok with who I am, things could be a lot worse.  We have had our differences through out the years but I have survived.  And 21 years later, that is all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for Sharing